Board Meeting: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 9:00 am
The Rellik Tavern, 726 First Street, Benicia, CA 94510
Notice to the Public:
You are welcomed and encourage to participate in this meeting. Public comment is taken (3 minutes maximum per person) on items listed on the agenda when they are called. Public Comment on items not listed on the agenda will be heard at the meeting as noted on the agenda. Comments on controversial items may be limited and large groups are encouraged to select one or two speakers to represent the opinion of the group. The order of Agenda items is listed for reference and may be taken in any order deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors. The Agenda provides a general description; however, the Board of Directors may take action other than what is recommended.
Brown Act Notice:
Government Code Section 54950 (The Brown Act) requires that a brief description of each item to be transacted or discussed be posted at least 72 hours prior to a regular meeting. Action may not be taken on items not posted on the agenda. Meeting facilities are accessible to persons with disabilities. If you require special assistance to participate in the meeting, notify Leah Shelhorn at 707-745-0254 at least 24 hours prior to this meeting.
Board of Directors for 2016:
1. Leah Shelhorn, Chair, Studio 41, Gifts4 Every1, Capitol District
2. Renee Marie Jordan, Vice Chair & Treasurer, Jordan Real Estate Group-Re/MAX Gold & Gallerie Renee Marie, Park District
3. Eileen Stern, Secretary, Re Max Gold Real Estate, Waterfront District
4. James Morgan, Sailor Jacks, Waterfront District
5. James Long, Pups and Purrs, Waterfront District
6. Carl Lucca, Lucca Restaurant, Waterfront District
7. Jeanne Steinman, Benicia Magazine/Waterfront District
8. Thomas Hamilton, The Rellik Bar, Capitol District
9. Tom Gavin, Gavin and Schreiner, Capitol District, 2nd Floor
Mario Giuliani, Economic Development Manager, City of Benicia
Board Meeting Agenda:
1. Call to Order:
2. Public Comment: Members of the Public are invited to comment on any item related to the affairs of the Downtown Benicia Alliance. Each member has up to three minutes to address the Board. The Board is not allowed to discuss matters brought up during public comment.
3.Approval of Agenda: The Chair will seek approval of the Agenda. Only items already on the agenda may be discussed. Approval of the Agenda allows for adjustment of the order in which items are discussed.
4. Approval of Minutes:
The Chair will seek approval of the April 12, 2016 minutes. The minutes should be approved if they meet adequately and accurately the decisions and action made at the previous meeting. If a Board Member was absent for a meeting, they should abstain from voting, unless their vote is necessary to make a quorum, at which point they may vote on the item.
5. A Review of First Street Traffic, Zones, Etc. Chief Erik Upson will speak on our concerns. Discussion and possible Board Vote.
6. Treasurers Report: Renee Marie will update.
6. Update on the Benicia Film Festival: Labor Day Weekend, a Friday, Saturday and Sunday Event being held on First Street. This event will bring people from all over the Bay Area and it is at the Majestic Theatre, in the heart of First Street. Our Subcommittee will Report.
7. Benicia Art Walk, 2016: from Mario Giuliani : The Downtown Benicia Alliance is hosting the 4 Artwalks this year. The pourers for each Gallery will wear the DBA Lanyard. We are also on the brochure for this event.
8. Visit Benicia Sunset Celebration Weekend. Mario will update us on the Event that took place at their new event center.
9. Dog Stations/Bags: Renee Marie has requested that we look at more bag stations on First Street. We have a problem with dog owners, and this is really affecting business owners. Discussion and possible vote.
10. Stop Signs, Crosswalks, and Pedestrians: This is a major concern for all of us who are on First Street and watch pedestrians cross intesections. Discussion and possible vote.
11. Agenda items for next meeting.
Minutes from April 12,2016 Board Meeting:
Tuesday, April 12, 2016
Rellik Tavern, 726 First Street
Board members present: Leah Shelhorn (Chair), Jeanne Steinman, Eileen Stern (Secretary), James Morgan, Carl Lucca, Thomas Hamilton
Others Present: Mario Guiliani
Absent: James Long, Renee Marie Jordan, Tom Gavin
Call to order:The meeting was called to order by Leah Shelhorn at 9:05
Public comment:Mario gave update on lights. Timers have been hardwired from F Street to the water. City is doing tree pruning at the Vets Hall and City Park. ATG will restring the lights in that area.
Approval of Agenda: Tom Hamilton moved to accept agenda as written. James Morgan seconded. Motion carried.
Approval of minutes: Tom Hamilton to accept the minutes of the February 2016 special meeting as written. James Morgan seconded. The motion carried.
Benicia Film Festival: Tom Hamilton stated that members of the DBA were instrumental in bringing the event downtown for the Saturday Films. DBA is not itself a sponsor, but giving merchants an opportunity to sponsor. There is an advertising opportunity to sponsor a business, such as a coupon. Mario suggested putting DBA logo in the program. Tom Hamilton suggested that the program would state that no DBA funds are being used. If the funds are short, the shortage would be covered by individual businesses, not the DBA itself.
Benicia Art Walk: This is the 6th year of the Art Walk. Last year it was coordinated by the City of Benicia and Arts Benicia. The walk is focused on downtown galleries. Gallery owners want to pour wine. They want DBA to sponsor pouring license. There are 4 events, May, June, September, and October. Mario stated that this is already covered in our insurance, so just need license to pour. This would be a DBA supported event, so logo would be on materials. Carl says pourers should get a sheet of rules regarding the legalities of pouring wine for general public.Tom made a motion for DBA to sponsor the Art Walk. James Morgan seconded. Motion passed.
Visit Benicia Sunset Celebration Weekend: Mario stated Sunset Magazine was relocating their headquarters in Oakland. They are doing a new celebration in Sonoma at the Cornerstone. This is a two day event on May 14 and 15, and Benicia will be involved in the celebration, including a booth. The venue is closer to Benicia, which is positive. Every year the city raffles a gift basket with local items including local art glass. The value of the basket is about $750. The winner will have to come to Benicia to pick up gifts.
Green Zone Updates: Leah has been in contact with BPD. The current signs for green zones are not adjacent to the green curbs themselves. Leah is talking with Ted at public works for signs to be ADA compliant. The worst offender of the time limits are in the 600, 800 and 900 blocks with real estate offices being major violations. Eileen suggested reaching out to real estate offices. James Morgan said a warning system is a good way to introduce the new enforcement of parking rules. Mario suggested an email from city to DBA members to let them know parking policy.
Dog Station/ Bags: Renee Marie had checked that there are only city 3 doggie stations. Poop bags are even being left in decorative tree stations. All agreed that the city needs more stands, and Mario will follow up.
Stop signs, Crosswalks and Pedestrians: The merchants need help with enforcement of illegal U turns, distracted drivers, and drivers running stop signs. Increased stop signs will not help. There was a discussion as to whether the First Street needs more stop signs. Tom Hamilton stated that the police chief should make the decision. Mario will contact the police chief and invite him to our next meeting.The police can do traffic counters and measure speed. Leah will also contact chief of police.
Agenda Items for Next meeting:Agenda items will include an update on lights and the Farmers market updates. Mario will put meeting together with City Manager and City Attorney.
Adjourn: Meeting was adjourned at 10:25