Special Board Meeting: Tuesday, May 9, 2017, at 9:00 am
Location: The Rellik Tavern, 726 First Street, Benicia, CA
Notice to the Public:
You are welcomed and encourage to participate in this meeting. Public comment is taken (3 minutes maximum per person) on items listed on the agenda when they are called. Public Comment on items not listed on the agenda will be heard at the meeting as noted on the agenda. Comments on controversial items may be limited and large groups are encouraged to select one or two speakers to represent the opinion of the group. The order of Agenda items is listed for reference and may be taken in any order deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors. The Agenda provides a general description; however, the Board of Directors may take action other than what is recommended.
Brown Act Notice:
Government Code Section 54950 (The Brown Act) requires that a brief description of each item to be transacted or discussed be posted at least 24hours prior to a Special Board Meeting. Action may not be taken on items not posted on the agenda. Meeting facilities are accessible to persons with disabilities. If you require special assistance to participate in the meeting, notify:
Leah Shelhorn at 707-745-0254 at least 24 hours prior to this special meeting.
Board of Directors for 2017:
1. Leah Shelhorn, Studio 41, Gifts4 Every1, Capitol District
2. Thomas Hamilton, The Rellik Bar, Capitol District
3. Eileen Stern, Re Max Gold Real Estate, Waterfront District
4. James Morgan, Sailor Jacks, Waterfront District
5. James Long, Pups and Purrs, Waterfront District
6. Carl Lucca, Lucca Restaurant, Waterfront District
7. Jeanne Steinman, Benicia Magazine, Waterfront District
8. Tom Gavin, Gavin and Schreiner, Capitol District, 2nd Floor
9. Suzanne JonCoaltz, Heritage Pantry and Spice, Waterfront District
Mario Giuliani, Economic Development Manager, City of Benicia
Board Meeting Agenda:
1. Call to Order:
2. Public Comment: Members of the Public are invited to comment on any item related to the affairs of the Downtown Benicia Alliance. Each member has up to three minutes to address the Board. The Board is not allowed to discuss matters brought up during public comment.
3. Approval of Agenda: The Chair will seek approval of the Agenda. Only items already on the agenda may be discussed. Approval of the Agenda allows for adjustment of the order in which items are discussed.
4. Approval of Minutes: The Chair will seek approval of the March 14, 2017 minutes. The minutes should be approved if they meet the adequately and accurately the decisions and action made at the previous meeting. If a Board Member was absent for a meeting, they should abstain from voting, unless their vote is necessary to make a quorum, at which point they may vote on the item.
5. Benicia Film Festival: Update on the Event for Labor Day Weekend. Contract signed, now advertising costs, email, etc will start. Suzanne is the Lead on this event. Board Action and Vote.
6. BID Update: Review conversations and first steps with Civitas. Board Action and Vote.
7. Music on First Street: Update and discussion on music venues on First Street. Report on Meeting at the Community Center in April. Possible Board Action and Vote.
8. Treasurer’s Report: Leah will report on Finances. State Farm documents have been signed for this year, with no changes. Possible Board Action and Vote.
9. Update with Parking, Green Zone: To date: In working with the Benicia Police Department, we now have enforcement. All zones are being tagged for parking violations of time. Please tell your tenants and customers so they will be aware. We are working on 30 minute signs at the green zones. Wouldn’t it be great if everyone worked together on this and everyone saw their goals reached for the day? What to do with Motor Homes? parking on First Street all day in Green Zones? Discussion and Possible Board Action and Vote.
10. Update on Stop Signs, crosswalks and Safety: Update on last months discussion. It was voted on and passed to take our information to the City Council. Possible Board Action and Vote.
Minutes from March 14, 2017 Special Board Meeting:
Special Board Meeting
March 14, 2017
The Rellik Tavern, 726 First Street
Present: Leah Shelhorn, (President), Eileen Stern (Secretary), Tom Gavin, Carl Lucca, Tom Hamilton(Vice Chair/Treasurer), Susan Joncoalitz, Jeannie Steinman
Others present:Graham Wadsworth, (Public works Director, City of Benicia) Tom Campbell (City Council), Dennis Cullen, Jack McComb
Absent: James Long, James Morgan, Mario Giuliani
Call to Order: Meeting was called to order by Leah Shelhorn at 9:04 AM.
Public Comment: None
Approval of Agenda:Tom Hamilton moved to approve agenda, Tom Gavin seconded. Motion carried.
Approval of minutes: Tom Hamilton moved to approve minutes, Tom Gavin seconded. Motion carried.
Graham Wadsworth, Public Works Director: City of Benicia has replaced handicapped access zones on corners to meet current code. All cross walks will have thermal plastic which will be more visible. There was a discussion on different types of crosswalks and signage. Carl Lucca brought up idea of more stop signs. Graham said, we need a stop sign warrant, which needs to have a study done. Dennis asked about brick crosswalk by Tannery. City will see the condition of it. Dennis says very important for stop signs. There was a motion to take a letter to City Council meeting to add stop signs and 2 lighted crosswalks on First Street. Motion was moved by Jeannie Steinman and seconded by Tom Hamilton. The motion carried.
Benicia Film Festival: Leah would like to see committee formed. Suzanne is heading up committee. Leah will help. DBA is waiting for the Majestic Theatre to sign a contract with the art and culture committee. DBA needs to start with Gordon Gray to get advertising done. DBA will be handling the advertising for First Street businesses, and the Art and Culture committee will do rest of Benicia. DBA is a gold sponsor.
Directory of DBA on Website: Businesses can do a three line item. Gordon will make changes to web site Info to go to Eileen. Businesses are allowed to submit 3 line. Leah will send email batch. Tom Hamilton moved to have business listings on the DBA website. Eileen Stern seconded, and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report: Bank account has about $20,000 in account.
Update with Parking Green Zone: To date there have been tickets or warnings issued. Enforcement is happening on green zones. Cart and chalker are working. Public comment: Dennis Cullen noted that there was a RV parked in front of his business for the Beer Crawl that was there all day.
Aggreement with City of Benicia for the Renewal of the BID: The agreement is 50/50. $15,000 each for the DBA and the City. Tom Gavin moved to approved agreement. Carl Lucca seconded. The motion passed.
BID Renewal Process Review: The first set in the process is to make a brochure. Gordon will design the brochure.
Meeting adjourned at 9:58 am. Next meeting will be April 18.