Special Board Meeting Wednesday, June 7, 2017, at 4:00 pm,
at The Rellik Tavern, 726 First Street, Benicia, CA
Notice to the Public:
You are welcomed and encourage to participate in this meeting. Public comment is taken (3 minutes maximum per person) on items listed on the agenda when they are called. Public Comment on items not listed on the agenda will be heard at the meeting as noted on the agenda. Comments on controversial items may be limited and large groups are encouraged to select one or two speakers to represent the opinion of the group. The order of Agenda items is listed for reference and may be taken in any order deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors. The Agenda provides a general description; however, the Board of Directors may take action other than what is recommended.
Brown Act Notice:
Government Code Section 54950 (The Brown Act) requires that a brief description of each item to be transacted or discussed be posted at least 24 hours prior to a Special Board Meeting. Action may not be taken on items not posted on the agenda. Meeting facilities are accessible to persons with disabilities.
If you require special assistance to participate in the meeting, notify:
Leah Shelhorn at 707-745-0254 at least 24 hours prior to this special meeting.
Board of Directors for 2017:
1. Leah Shelhorn, Studio 41, Gifts4 Every1, Capitol District
2. Thomas Hamilton, The Rellik Bar, Capitol District
3. Eileen Stern, Re Max Gold Real Estate, Waterfront District
4. James Morgan, Sailor Jacks, Waterfront District
5. Carl Lucca, Lucca Restaurant, Waterfront District
6. Jeanne Steinman, Benicia Magazine, Waterfront District
7. Tom Gavin, Gavin and Schreiner, Capitol District, 2nd Floor
8. Suzanne JonCoaltz, Heritage Pantry and Spice, Waterfront District
Mario Giuliani, Economic Development Manager, City of Benicia
Special Board Meeting Agenda:
1. Call to Order:
2. Public Comment: Members of the Public are invited to comment on any item related to the affairs of the Downtown Benicia Alliance. Each member has up to three minutes to address the Board. The Board is not allowed to discuss matters brought up during public comment.
3. Approval of Agenda: The Chair will seek approval of the Agenda. Only items already on the agenda may be discussed. Approval of the Agenda allows for adjustment of the order in which items are discussed.
4. Approval of Minutes: The Chair will seek approval of the May 9, 2017 minutes. The minutes should be approved if they meet the adequately and accurately the decisions and action made at the previous meeting. If a Board Member was absent for a meeting, they should abstain from voting, unless their vote is necessary to make a quorum, at which point they may vote on the item.
5. BID Update: Each Board Member will be given a packet with the Renewal information for everyone in our Benicia Business Improvement District. We will review our steps, information, and start the renewal process on Wednesday, June 6.
Each Board member will be walking First Street and talking to each business in the footprint of our BID.
Minutes from May 9, 2017 Special Board Meeting:
at The Rellik Tavern, 726 First Street, Benicia, CA
Present: Leah Shelhorn, (President), Eileen Stern (Secretary), Carl Lucca, Tom Hamilton(vice chair/treasurer), Susan Joncoalitz, Jeannie Steinmann
Others present: Jack McComb, Mario Giuliani
Absent:, James Morgan, Tom Gavin
Call to Order: Meeting was called to order by Leah Shelhorn at 9:04 AM.
Public Comment: none
Approval of Agenda: Tom Hamilton moved to approve agenda, Leah seconded. Mario wanted update on bid renewal moved up on agenda. With the modification of the order of items the motion carried.
Approval of minutes: Tom Hamilton moved to approve minutes, Carl seconded. Motion carried.
BID Renewal Update:Mario distributed the district management plan for renewal which is a state requirement. He also handed out a budget with the scenarios of a 2,3 or 4 percent assessment increase. When the bid was originally formed, the maximum timeline was 5 years. Now the renewal can be up to 10 years. Petition process is the next step. The board would have to capture 50 percent of value of bid plus one. At the end of the month we would have an open house for businesses on First Street. The next step is to submit to City Council to adopt resolution. Civitas projected a rate increase will be necessary. The merchant open house is May 31 at 9 AM at the Rellik. There will be information stations.
Benicia Film Festival:Helaine Bowles has proposed that we get the middle of book for advertising First Street businesses. Last year the rates were $400, $200, $100 and $50 for ads. Downtown Business Alliance will get the centerfold as a Gold supporter. The rates will stay the same as last year: $1,000, $500, $100 and $50. Suzanne will be soliciting merchants but will need help as she has a job in San Francisco. Carl volunteered to help. Leah will send an email to solicit sponsors. The books should come out early and ideally before the Peddlers’ Fair.
Treasurers report:The account balance is approximately $19,000. Leah is writing checks for Gordon Gray ($300), our domain renewal ($40), the website ($120). We just paid $1400 to All that Glows. Jerry Pollard of ATS Tax and Financial is now handling the books.
Directory of DBA on Website:This was tabled until the next meeting.
Update with Parking –Green Zones: The green zones are being enforced by the Police Department. The 3 hour spots are also being enforced. There are 14 green zones. We will be working on signs.
Meeting adjourned: 10:38 AM