Board Meeting: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, at 9:00 am
Location: The Rellik Bar and Lounge, 726 First Street, Benicia, CA
Notice to the Public:
You are welcomed and encourage to participate in this meeting. Public comment is taken (3 minutes maximum per person) on items listed on the agenda when they are called. Public Comment on items not listed on the agenda will be heard at the meeting as noted on the agenda. Comments on controversial items may be limited and large groups are encouraged to select one or two speakers to represent the opinion of the group. The order of Agenda items is listed for reference and may be taken in any order deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors. The Agenda provides a general description; however, the Board of Directors may take action other than what is recommended.
Brown Act Notice:
Government Code Section 54950 (The Brown Act) requires that a brief description of each item to be transacted or discussed be posted at least 72 hours prior to a Board Meeting. Action may not be taken on items not posted on the agenda. Meeting facilities are accessible to persons with disabilities. If you require special assistance to participate in the meeting, notify Leah Shelhorn at 707-745-0254 at least 24 hours prior to this special meeting.
Board of Directors for 2017:
1. Leah Shelhorn, Studio 41, Gifts4 Every1, Capitol District
2. Thomas Hamilton, The Rellik Tavern, Capitol District
3. Eileen Stern, Re Max Gold Real Estate, Waterfront District
4. James Morgan, Sailor Jacks, Waterfront District
5. James Long, Pups and Purrs, Waterfront District
6. Carl Lucca, Lucca Restaurant, Waterfront District
7. Jeanne Steinman, Benicia Magazine, Waterfront District
8. Tom Gavin, Gavin and Schreiner, Capitol District, 2nd Floor
9. Suzanne JonCoaltz, Heritage Pantry and Spice, Waterfront District
Mario Giuliani, Economic Development Manager, City of Benicia
Board Meeting Agenda:
1. Call to Order:
2. Public Comment: Members of the Public are invited to comment on any item related to the affairs of the Downtown Benicia Alliance. Each member has up to three minutes to address the Board. The Board is not allowed to discuss matters brought up during public comment.
3. Approval of Agenda: The Chair will seek approval of the Agenda. Only items already on the agenda may be discussed. Approval of the Agenda allows for adjustment of the order in which items are discussed.
4. Approval of Minutes: The Chair will seek approval of the December 13, 2016 minutes. The minutes should be approved if they meet the adequately and accurately the decisions and action made at the previous meeting. If a Board Member was absent for a meeting, they should abstain from voting, unless their vote is necessary to make a quorum, at which point they may vote on the item.
5. Election of Officers: Discussion, Board Action and Vote.
6. Approval of the Annual Report to the City of Benicia: A view of our year, written by the Chair.
7. Treasurer’s Report: Lynell R. Green, our Accountant, of ATS Tax and Financial Solutions. Lynell will report on invoices due, and updates. Possible Board Action and Vote.
8. Update with Parking, Green Zone: Leah will report on the green zone enforcement. Discussion and Possible Board Action and Vote.
9. Discussion on Contract to All That Glows. Leah will report. Possible Board Action and Vote.
10. Update on Assessments Paid: Mario will give the report. Possible Board action and vote.
11.Business Improvement District (BID) 2017: Setting the date of our first sub-committee meeting. Discussion, Board Action and Vote.
December 13, 2016
Rellik Tavern, 726 First Street
Present: Leah Shelhorn, (Chair), Tom Hamilton(Vice President/Treasurer) Eileen Stern (Secretary), Jeannie Steinmann, Tom Gavin, Carl Lucca, Tom Hamilton, James Morgan
Others present: Mario Guiliani, Linda Peonsin, Susan Joncoaltz, Lynell Green
Absent: James Long
Call to Order: Meeting was called to order by Leah Shelhorn at 9:04 AM.
Public Comment: none
Approval of Agenda: Moved by Tom Gavin, seconded by Jeannie Steinman, with parking and green zone update moved up in agenda. Motion passed.
Approval of Minutes: Moved Tom Gavin, Seconded Tom Hamilton. Motion passed.
Election of Board Members: Slate is: Suzanne Joncoaltz (Heritage Pantry and Spice), Eileen Stern (RE/MAX Gold), Carl Lucca, (Lucca’s Restaurant). Leah Shelhorn (Studio 41). Tom Gavin made motion to accept slate, James Morgan seconded. Motion passed.
Treasurer’s Report: Report was given by Lynell R. Green, our accountant, of ATS Tax and Financial Solutions. DBA paid all that Glows $4200 for three months and Gordon Gray for $600 for the year. Lynell presented statements for first quarter. Not counting those two payments, Downtown Business Alliance has a loss of $5130. Lynell has submitted all the necessary paperwork to IRS for our non-profit status.
Update with Parking, Green Zone, Pedestrian Safety: Tom Hamilton and Leah Shelhorn had met with City. Leah is concerned that parking cart is not enforcing green zones and has written a letter to Mario expressing her concern. Her priority is the merchants ad businesses on First Street. James Morgan stated that whatever ambiguity exists between signage and code needs to be eliminated. There also needs to be a carefully worded warning letter for parking violators. Leah says she’s been working on this a year and a half. Leah and possibly other board members can meet with Steve Solomon, the interim city manager to discuss priorities.
Update on Contract to All That Glows and Bid. 2017 is important year per Mario. what the bid looks like for the next 10. The first step would be to get a professional to draft the necessary paperwork to renew the bid. Citivas, who was retained in 2011 to formulate the original bid, has been retained to renew the bid. There are many questions in the bid renewal which would affect the next ten years. The questions span many items. What does district look like? What will be the rates of assessment? Would there be a COLA on the rates? How can the maintenance contract be improved? Mario said there should be partnership with City and Civitas.
Update on Assessments Paid: Mario passed out the report for payments of assessments. There are businesses still outstanding. Everyone should check to see if they paid their business license fee and their BID fee. HDL update: Collections to start! Money will be billed again in 2017. Chart also gives info on partial bills.
ABC Lead Training Class for 2017: Suzanne Joncoaltz and Tom Hamilton will go to class as needed for wine pour per ABC requirements.
Upcoming Important Dates for the DBA: Please mark your calendars for the first meeting in the New Year, January 10, 2017 at the Rellik Bar and Lounge.
Meeting adjourned at 10:05 AM