Board Meeting: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, at 9:00 am
Location: The Rellik Bar and Lounge, 726 First Street, Benicia, CA
Notice to the Public:
You are welcomed and encourage to participate in this meeting. Public comment is taken (3 minutes maximum per person) on items listed on the agenda when they are called. Public Comment on items not listed on the agenda will be heard at the meeting as noted on the agenda. Comments on controversial items may be limited and large groups are encouraged to select one or two speakers to represent the opinion of the group. The order of Agenda items is listed for reference and may be taken in any order deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors. The Agenda provides a general description; however, the Board of Directors may take action other than what is recommended.
Brown Act Notice:
Government Code Section 54950 (The Brown Act) requires that a brief description of each item to be transacted or discussed be posted at least 72 hours prior to a Board Meeting. Action may not be taken on items not posted on the agenda. Meeting facilities are accessible to persons with disabilities. If you require special assistance to participate in the meeting, notify Leah Shelhorn at 707-745-0254 at least 24 hours prior to this special meeting.
Board of Directors for 2016:
1. Leah Shelhorn, Chair, Studio 41, Gifts4 Every1, Capitol District
2. Thomas Hamilton,Vice Chair & Treasurer, The Rellik Tavern, Capitol District
3. Eileen Stern, Secretary, Re Max Gold Real Estate, Waterfront District
4. James Morgan, Sailor Jacks, Waterfront District
5. James Long, Pups and Purrs, Waterfront District
6. Carl Lucca, Lucca Restaurant, Waterfront District
7. Jeanne Steinman, Benicia Magazine, Waterfront District
8. Tom Gavin, Gavin and Schreiner, Capitol District, 2nd Floor
Mario Giuliani, Economic Development Manager, City of Benicia
Board Meeting Agenda:
1. Call to Order:
2. Public Comment: Members of the Public are invited to comment on any item related to the affairs of the Downtown Benicia Alliance. Each member has up to three minutes to address the Board. The Board is not allowed to discuss matters brought up during public comment.
3. Approval of Agenda: The Chair will seek approval of the Agenda. Only items already on the agenda may be discussed. Approval of the Agenda allows for adjustment of the order in which items are discussed.
4. Approval of Minutes: The Chair will seek approval of the June 22, 2016 minutes. The minutes should be approved if they meet the adequately and accurately the decisions and action made at the previous meeting. If a Board Member was absent for a meeting, they should abstain from voting, unless their vote is necessary to make a quorum, at which point they may vote on the item.
5. Treasurer’s Report: Welcome our new Bookkeeper, Lynell R. Green, of ATS Tax and Financial Solutions. Lynell will report on invoices due, and updates. Possible Board Action and Vote.
6. Update on Veteran’s Hall and Gazebo. Mario will report.
7. Appointment of Thomas Hamilton as Vice Chair/Treasurer: Discussion and Board Vote.
7. Update on Assessments Paid: Leah and Mario will give report. Discussion and possible Board action and vote.
8. Amend the bylaws: Per Article XII of the Bylaws: It is proposed that the highlighted section with strike through in Article V, found on page 2, be deleted from the bylaws. The purpose of these amendment is to facilitate membership on the Board of Directors. *See Attached below.
9. Benicia Film Festival Update: Leah, Eileen, Tom Hamilton, and James Morgan will report on the brochure for this event, Labor Day Weekend. Discussion and possible Board action and vote.
10. Renewal for the Business Improvement District (BID) 2017. Tasks will start with appointing a BID renewal Committee and authorize to hire Civitas Consulting to guide the DBA.
11. Traffic Safety Committee Meeting: Carl and Eileen will attend this meeting, to be held Wednesday, August 18. Discussion on First Street Safety. Possible Board Action and Vote.
12. Green Zone Update: Discussion on this first step, and possible Board Action and Vote.
13. Directory for the Website: A suggestion from one of our Businesses has requested more information about each business on our website. This would be a great starting point for everyone to use the list when wanting to support the businesses in our DBA Community. Discussion and possible Board Action and Vote.
14. Upcoming Important Dates for the DBA, please mark your calendars:
Tuesday-October 11, 2016. Final Wrap Up Meeting, Tuesday-December 13, 2016