Board Meeting: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 9:00 am
The Rellik Tavern, 726 First Street, Benicia, CA 94510
Notice to the Public:
You are welcomed and encourage to participate in this meeting. Public comment is taken (3 minutes maximum per person) on items listed on the agenda when they are called. Public Comment on items not listed on the agenda will be heard at the meeting as noted on the agenda. Comments on controversial items may be limited and large groups are encouraged to select one or two speakers to represent the opinion of the group. The order of Agenda items is listed for reference and may be taken in any order deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors. The Agenda provides a general description; however, the Board of Directors may take action other than what is recommended.
Brown Act Notice:
Government Code Section 54950 (The Brown Act) requires that a brief description of each item to be transacted or discussed be posted at least 72 hours prior to a regular meeting. Action may not be taken on items not posted on the agenda. Meeting facilities are accessible to persons with disabilities. If you require special assistance to participate in the meeting, notify Leah Shelhorn at 707-745-0254 at least 24 hours prior to this special meeting.
Board of Directors for 2016:
1. Leah Shelhorn, Chair, Studio 41, Gifts4 Every1, Capitol District
2. Renee Marie Jordan, Vice Chair & Treasurer, Jordan Real Estate Group-Re/MAX Gold & Gallerie Renee Marie, Park District
3. Eileen Stern, Secretary, Re Max Gold Real Estate, Waterfront District
4. James Morgan, Sailor Jacks, Waterfront District
5. James Long, Pups and Purrs, Waterfront District
6. Carl Lucca, Lucca Restaurant, Waterfront District
7. Jeanne Steinman, Benicia Magazine/Waterfront District
8. Thomas Hamilton, The Rellik Bar, Capitol District
9. Tom Gavin, Gavin and Schreiner, Capitol District, 2nd Floor
Mario Giuliani, Economic Development Manager, City of Benicia
Special Board Meeting Agenda:
1. Call to Order:
2. Public Comment: Members of the Public are invited to comment on any item related to the affairs of the Downtown Benicia Alliance. Each member has up to three minutes to address the Board. The Board is not allowed to discuss matters brought up during public comment.
3. Approval of Agenda: The Chair will seek approval of the Agenda. Only items already on the agenda may be discussed. Approval of the Agenda allows for adjustment of the order in which items are discussed.
4. Approval of Minutes: The Chair will seek approval of the Februay 26, 2016 minutes. The minutes should be approved if they meet the adequately and accurately the decisions and action made at the previous meeting. If a Board Member was absent for a meeting, they should abstain from voting, unless their vote is necessary to make a quorum, at which point they may vote on the item.
5. Update on the Benicia Film Festival: Labor Day Weekend, a Friday, Saturday and Sunday Event being held on First Street. This event will bring people from all over the Bay Area and it is at the Majestic Theatre, in the heart of First Street. At the February 26th Special Board Meeting, it was unanimously agreed to go forward and host/sponsor the Saturday Event. Ideas and information will be discussed. Board Action Required.
6. Benicia Art Walk, 2016: from Mario Giuliani : Mario will discuss sponsoring ABC one-day licenses for four Benicia Art Walk 2016 events. Board Action Required.
7. Visit Benicia Sunset Celebration Weekend. Mario will discuss request for donation items for the huge weekend at Sunset Magazine. The City of Benicia always has a drawing for people attending this wonderful event and has them pick it up in Benicia. It reflects the business’s on First Street.
8. Green Zone Updates: Report from Chief Eupson. Discussion, and possible vote.
9. Dog Stations/Bags: Renee Marie has requested that we look at more bag stations on First Street. We have a problem with dog owners, and this is really affecting business owners. Discussion and possible vote.
10. Stop Signs, Crosswalks, and Pedestrians: This is a major concern for all of us who are on First Street and watch pedestrians cross intesections. Discussion and possible vote.
11. Agenda items for next meeting.
Minutes from February 24, Special Board Meeting:
Special Board Meeting
Friday, February 26, 2016
Sailor Jack’s, 123 First Street, Benicia, CA
Board members present: Leah Shelhorn (Chair), Renee Marie Jordan (Vice Chair and Treasurer), Eileen Stern (Secretary), James Morgan, Carl Lucca, Thomas Hamilton
Others Present: Mario Giuliani, 4 members of public
Absent: Jeannie Steinmann, Tom Gavin, James Long
Call to order: The meeting was called to order by Leah Shelhorn at 6:32 PM
Public comment: As there were several items, public comment below is attached to specific site for each item.
Approval of Agenda: Carl Lucca moved to accept as written. Renee Marie Jordan seconded. Motion carried.
Approval of minutes: Carl Lucca moved to accept the minutes of the January 21, 2016 special meeting. Tom Hamilton seconded. Motion carried.
Benicia Film Festival: This year the festival is moving to Veterans’ hall on Friday of the festival. The dates are September 2-4. Last year the Saturday showings were at the High School, and people complained that there was nowhere to eat. Leah Shelhorn had suggested to move the festival to First Street. The idea is for the DBA to host Saturday, September 3. The cost would be $1300. There is no need for a sponsorship for Sunday as the film festival itself will be covering the cost. Leah described a picture of people from all over the bay coming to Benicia for Labor Day weekend, and strolling up and down First Street to eat, drink and shop. Carl Lucca was concerned because of issues with Veterans’ Day last year. . James Morgan liked the idea of merchants sponsoring that day to offset the cost for the theatre. Public comment: Members of the public asked about fee admission. Tom Hamilton said that merchants will have an opportunity for sponsorship. The information will be in DBA’s email blast. James Morgan made a motion to spend $1300 to sponsor Saturday at the film festival, and as a board to recoup the cost. Eileen Stern seconded. The motion passed.
First Street Signs: Mario Giuliani stated that the street signs on First Street are faded, and that the city will be installing new signs. As First Street is a historic district there are different codes and rules to follow. Mario presented two options: Option 1 is the existing style. Option 2 has the Capitol logo and has greater reflectivity. The board voted on both styles, and the majority of members liked the existing sign.
Update on lighting: Members of the board had a meeting with city staff. Leah Shelhorn and Tom Hamilton reviewed the electrical grid of the city. It has a mixture of different voltages and systems. ATG (All that Glows) hired an independent contractor for maintenance. Prior to the hire, ATG could not be dispatched quickly. He can do minor repairs and flip tripped GFIs. The GFIs from F Street to the water are more sensitive. The city was looking into lighting the Veterans’ Hall and gazebo.
Agenda items for next meeting. The city needs more doggie stations. James Morgan wants to discuss sponsorship of the Benicia Film Festival in greater detail. Carl Lucca wants to discuss stop signs and glow crosswalks. Items also requested were parking, the Farmers’ Market and the website.