Board Meeting Tuesday, December 12, 2017, at 9:00 am
at The Rellik Tavern, 726 First Street, Benicia, CA
The Downtown Benicia Alliance is a partnership of our Businesses that, together we will promote the common interests of and improve advocacy for our downtown.
Celebrating Local Merchants Every Day.
Notice to the Public:
You are welcomed and encourage to participate in this meeting. Public comment is taken (3 minutes maximum per person) on items listed on the agenda when they are called. Public Comment on items not listed on the agenda will be heard at the meeting as noted on the agenda. Comments on controversial items may be limited and large groups are encouraged to select one or two speakers to represent the opinion of the group. The order of Agenda items is listed for reference and may be taken in any order deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors. The Agenda provides a general description; however, the Board of Directors may take action other than what is recommended.
Brown Act Notice:
Government Code Section 54950 (The Brown Act) requires that a brief description of each item to be transacted or discussed be posted at least 72 hours prior to Board Meeting. Action may not be taken on items not posted on the agenda. Meeting facilities are accessible to persons with disabilities. If you require special assistance to participate in the meeting, notify:
Leah Shelhorn at 707-745-0254 at least 24 hours prior to this special meeting.
Board of Directors for 2017:
1. Leah Shelhorn, Studio 41, Gifts4 Every1
2. Thomas Hamilton, The Rellik Bar
3. Eileen Stern, Re Max Gold Real Estate
4. James Morgan, Sailor Jacks
5. Carl Lucca, Lucca Restaurant
6. Jeanne Steinman, Benicia Magazine
7. Tom Gavin, Gavin and Schreiner
8. Suzanne JonCoaltz, Heritage Pantry and Spice
Mario Giuliani, Economic Development Manager, City of Benicia
Board Meeting Agenda:
1. Call to Order:
2. Public Comment: Members of the Public are invited to comment on any item related to the affairs of the Downtown Benicia Alliance. Each member has up to three minutes to address the Board. The Board is not allowed to discuss matters brought up during public comment.
3. Approval of Agenda: The Chair will seek approval of the Agenda. Only items already on the agenda may be discussed. Approval of the Agenda allows for adjustment of the order in which items are discussed.
4. Approval of Minutes: The Chair will seek approval of the November 14, 2017 minutes. The minutes should be approved if they meet the adequately and accurately the decisions and action made at the previous meeting. If a Board Member was absent for a meeting, they should abstain from voting, unless their vote is necessary to make a quorum, at which point they may vote on the item.
5. Second and Final Reading of the Proposed Changes to Article V of the Bylaws: The Board to review for the second and final time to vote for the proposed changes to Article V of the Bylaws; reducing the number of directors from 9 to 7. As we have changed number of meetings per year and removed districts, we will discuss changes to number of directors. Board Action and Vote. See below for Article V, Directors.
5. Treasurer’s Report: Tom Hamilton, Treasurer will give this report. Discussion, Possible Board Action and Vote.
6. Nomination Applications Reviewed, and New Board Members Elected: Board Action and Vote. See Nomination Applications below.
7. Update on Noise Ordinance for the Downtown: Carl and Mario will give reports.
8. ABC Lead Training: Tuesday, February 6, 2018, 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. Lisa Krimsky of the Benicia Police Department is coordinating this very important session. To sign up call: 746-4242. Two Board Members are requested. Board Action and Vote.
9. Upcoming Board Meetings: January 9, 2018/ April 10, 2018/ July 10,2018/ October 9, 2018
Annual Meeting & Board of Directors Elections December 11,2018
November 14, 2017
Rellik Tavern, 726 First Street
Present: Leah Shelhorn, (Chair), Eileen Stern (Secretary), Carl Lucca, Tom Hamilton (VC/Treasurer), Tom Gavin, James Morgan, Suzanne Joncoalitz, Jeanne Steinmann
Advisor: Mario Giuliani
Others present: Dennis Cullen, Dixie Mohan
Call to Order: Meeting was called to order by Leah Shelhorn at 9:03 AM.
Public Comment: Dixie told us about Paint Out doing a community wide event August 25 next year. She would like to see support from business community.
Approval of Agenda: Carl Lucca moved to approve agenda, Tom Hamilton seconded. Motion carried.
Approval of minutes: Carl Lucca moved to approve minutes, Suzanne Joncoalitz seconded. Motion carried.
First Reading of the proposed Changes to Article V of the bylaws: We have 9 directors, a quorum is 5. Proposed is change from 9 to 7 directors…quorum would be 4. It is preferable, but not necessarily possible to have board members from all points of First Street. Mario suggested that we have a discussion today. Tom Hamilton said someone from Art Community would be good. Motion was brought to the table of reducing the number of board members from 9 to 7, and the quorum would be 4. Carl Lucca made the proposal, and Eileen Stern seconded it.
Treasurers Report: We have $900 in bank. Next meeting Jerry Pollard will be there. Lighting has been paid for except last payment:
Donation to DBA: Donations to the DBA were discussed and one use would be to help a few businesses that pay for the assessment and do not have lights. James Morgan stated that at this point, the DBA should be monitoring its available finite resources. Carl Lucca asked if donations can currently be accepted. Mario say it is acceptable now, and there does not need to be any action to accept donations. Currently the DBA owes $30,000 to the City, so is not in a position to take on greater responsibility. It also could be an issue if the DBA gives money to any one person or business.
A discussion was started regarding benefits for buildings off First Street. Should the DBA coordinate with them to work with vendor for additional lights. James Morgan stated that the DBA is more than lights. The DBA needs to be stewards of our own income. We also are advocates for downtown businesses.
Upcoming Board Meetings: Second reading of the bylaw change will be at the final meeting of the year 12/12/17
Meeting adjourned:at 9:45 AM
RE/MAX Gold, Secretary