Downtown Benicia Alliance (DBA)
Board Meeting, Tuesday, December 15th, 2015- 9:00 a.m
The Rellik Tavern, 726 First Street, Benicia, CA 94510
Notice to the Public:
You are welcomed and encouraged to participate in this meeting. Public comment is taken (3 minutes maximum per person) on items listed on the agenda when they are called. Public comment on items not listed on the Agenda will be heard at the meeting as noted on the Agenda. Comments on controversial items may be limited and large groups are encouraged to select one or two speakers to represent the opinion of the group. The order of Agenda items is listed for reference and may be taken in any order deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors. The Agenda provides a general description; however, the Board of Directors may take action other than what is recommended.
Brown Act Notice:
Government Code Section 54950 (The Brown Act) requires that a brief description of each item to be transacted or discussed be posted at least 72 hours prior to a regular meeting. Action may not be taken on items not posted on the Agenda. Meeting facilities are accessible to persons with disabilities. If you require special assistance to participate in the meeting, notify Carl Lucca at 925 231-5736 at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.
Board of Directors: District Term
1. Carl Lucca, Lucca Restaurant and Bar firstname.lastname@example.org Chair Waterfront 12/2016
2. Renee Marie Jordan, Jordan Real Estate, Inc. email@example.com V.P./Treasurer Park 12/2015
3. James Long, Pups and Purrz, James.firstname.lastname@example.org Secretary Waterfront 12/2015
4. Tom Gavin, Gavin and Schreiner, email@example.com Capitol 12/2015
5. Thomas Hamilton, The Rellik Tavern, firstname.lastname@example.org Capitol 12/2016
6. Jim Morgan, Sailor Jack’s, Morgan4Law@aol.com Waterfront 12/2015
7. Leah Shelhorn, Studio 41, email@example.com Capitol 12/2016
8. Jeanne Steinmann, Benicia Magazine, firstname.lastname@example.org Capitol 12/2015
9. Eileen Stern, ReMaxGold, Eileen@eileenstern.com Waterfront 12/2016
Advisor: Mario Giuliani, Economic Development Manager, City of Benicia, CA
Park District: I Street to Military (no more than 4 members)
Capitol District: F Street to I Street (no more than 4 members)
Waterfront District: F Street to Water Front (no more than 4 members)
2nd Floor (at least 1 member)
The DBA Meets Quarterly on the Second Tuesday of the Month at 9 a.m. @ The Rellik Tavern
January 13, 2015/April 14, 2015/July 14, 2015/October 13, 2015
Annual Meeting and Board of Director Elections: December 8, 2015
Downtown Benicia Alliance
Board Meeting Agenda
Tuesday, December 15th, 2015 – 9 a.m.@ Rellik Tavern, 726 First Street
A Non-Profit Organization Dedicated to the Administration of the Benicia Downtown Business Improvement District
1. Call to order
Public Comment: Members of the Public are invited to comment on any item related to the affairs of the Downtown Benicia Alliance. Each member has up to three minutes to address the Board. The Board is not allowed to discuss matters brought up during public comment.
2. Approval of the Agenda: The Chair will seek approval of the Agenda. Only items already on the Agenda may be discussed. Approval of the Agenda allows for adjustment of the order in which items are discussed.
3. Approval of the Minutes: The Chair will seek approval of the October 13, 2015 regular Board minutes. The minutes should be approved if they adequately and accurately meet the decisions and action made at the previous meeting. If a board member was absent for the meeting, they should abstain from voting unless their vote is necessary to make a quorum, at which point they may vote on the item.
4. Report from Mario Giuliani, City of Benicia advisor to DBA:
5. Treasurer’s Report: The DBA Treasurer and City staff will provide a budget update. Board action may be necessary.
6. Sub Committee Reports:
• Advocacy committee: 1. Report on Farmer’s Market Barriers; green zones and next steps.. 2.Events, and activities on First Street feedback on events impacting DBA businesses. Board action may be necessary.
• Election Committee: Board of Directors election of Board Members for 2016. Board action may be necessary.
• BID renewal: preparation for 2016.
7. Comments from each District: Waterfront: Capitol:: Park:
Attachment(s): Minutes-October 13, 2105 regular Board meeting.
Downtown Benicia Alliance
Minutes: October 13, 2015- 9:00 a.m.
The Rellik Tavern, 726 First Street, Benicia, CA 94510
Board Members Present: Carl Lucca, Chair; Renee Marie Jordan, Vice-Chair & Treasurer; James Long, Secretary; Eileen Stern; Tom Gavin; Jeanne Steinmann; Leah Shelhorn, and Mario Giuliani, Economic Development Director, City of Benicia.
Excused Absence: James Morgan
1. Call to Order: Carl Lucca, Chair, called the meeting to order at 9:06 a.m.
2. Public Comment: No public comment.
3. Approval of Agenda: Jeanne Steinmann moved to approve the agenda, Tom Hamilton seconding, motion approved
4. Approval of Minutes: Tom Hamilton moved to accept the minutes of July 21, 2015 meeting and the August 4th 2015 special meeting. James Long seconded the motion. Motion approved with one correction to the minutes of August 4th meeting attendance: Tom Gavin not present at that meeting.
5. Report from Mario Giuliani, City of Benicia advisor to DBA:
Mario reported that the City is outsourcing the billing and collection of BID assessments to a firm that the City has contracted to do other City billings. He reported that only 9 businesses still have outstanding bills for 2015. Businesses that are no longer in business may not be pursued. He also discussed the difficulties with the tree lighting at the Veterans Memorial building as it could cost approximately $20.000 dollars to do the electrical connections. The City was working on solutions for this and the lights across the street and would report back to the DBA. Also, the City is working to rectify the electrical problems at the foot of First Street so that the lights there would work better. He indicated that the lighting contractor would be to checking all the lights this month and also, the City has contracted to have sidewalk washing done starting this month on the entire first street.
6. Treasurer’s Report: Treasurer Renee Marie Jordan reported that the DBA account had a balance of $18,915.47.
7. Sub Committee Reports:
Advocacy: Leah Shelhorn brought up two outstanding issues: First the barriers used at the Farmers market which are stored on the side street after the market. Several businesses have complained that they are unsightly and should be moved. The other issue concerned the DBA request to have the curb markings for green zones redone brought before the City Council for approval. After discussion, it was agreed that Leah would meet with the City PublicWorks Manager to discuss action. Motion make by Tom Hamilton, seconded by Tom Gavin, motion approved.
Election Committee: Tom Gavin reported that 5 Board members terms would be done at the end of 2015 and handed out sample nomination applications and that they would be sent on 11/1/2015 to be returned by 12/1/2015 and action taken at the 12/4/2015 Board meeting.
Veterans Event: Carl Lucca gave a report that the DBA would not be involved with the Veteran’s Day event as was done last year, but that the Veterans would accept any private help with the event.
BID renewal: Discussion held regarding the BID renewal process and Leah proposed changing 2016 meetings from quarterly to monthly due to the importance of renewal. Discussion held, it was determined since most work on the BID renewal would be done in committee that the current schedule for meetings would remain.
8. What’s New in Each District
Waterfront: Eileen Stern reported that a new pet business, Koda, had opened next to Java Point.
Capitol: Leah Shelhorn reported that a new Bakery would be opening in the vacated Capitol Café location.
Jeanne Steinmann said Urban Notions was closing in December and would be relocating sometime in the New Year.
Park: No report
9. Agenda Items: DBA Board Elections.
10. Adjourn: At the conclusion of business Carl Lucca called the meeting adjourned at