Downtown Benicia Alliance
Board Meeting Agenda
Tuesday, July 21, 2015 – 9 a.m-10am. @ Rellik Tavern, 726 First Street
Notice to the Public:
You are welcomed and encouraged to participate in this meeting. Public comment is taken (3 minutes maximum per person) on items listed on the agenda when they are called. Public comment on items not listed on the Agenda will be heard at the meeting as noted on the Agenda. Comments on controversial items may be limited and large groups are encouraged to select one or two speakers to represent the opinion of the group. The order of Agenda items is listed for reference and may be taken in any order deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors. The Agenda provides a general description; however, the Board of Directors may take action other than what is recommended.
Brown Act Notice:
Government Code Section 54950 (The Brown Act) requires that a brief description of each item to be transacted or discussed be posted at least 72 hours prior to a regular meeting. Action may not be taken on items not posted on the Agenda. Meeting facilities are accessible to persons with disabilities. If you require special assistance to participate in the meeting, notify Carl Lucca at 925 231-5736 at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.
Board of Directors: District Term
1. Carl Lucca, Lucca Restaurant and Bar email@example.com- Chair Water 12/2016
2. Renee Marie Jordan, Jordan Real Estate, Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org V.P./Treasurer Park 12/2015
3. James Long, Pups and Purrz, James.email@example.com Secretary Water 12/2015
4. Tom Gavin, Gavin and Schreiner, firstname.lastname@example.org Capitol 12/2015
5. Thomas Hamilton, The Rellik Tavern, email@example.com Capitol 12/2016
6. Jim Morgan, Sailor Jack’s, Morgan4Law@aol.com Water 12/2015
7. Leah Shelhorn, Studio 41, firstname.lastname@example.org Capitol 12/2016
8. Jeanne Steinmann, Benicia Magazine, email@example.com Capitol 12/2015
9. Eileen Stern, ReMaxGold, Eileen@eileenstern.com Water 12/2016
Advisor: Mario Giuliani, Economic Development Manager, City of Benicia, CA
Park District: I Street to Military (no more than 4 members)
Capitol District: F Street to I Street (no more than 4 members)
Waterfront District: F Street to Water Front (no more than 4 members)
2nd Floor (at least 1 member)
The DBA Meets Quarterly on the Second Tuesday of the Month at 9 a.m. @ The Rellik Tavern
A Non-Profit Organization Dedicated to the Administration of the Benicia Downtown Business Improvement District
Call to order
Public Comment: Members of the Public are invited to comment on any item related to the affairs of the Downtown Benicia Alliance. Each member has up to three minutes to address the Board. The Board is not allowed to discuss matters brought up during public comment.
Approval of the Agenda: The Chair will seek approval of the Agenda. Only items already on the Agenda may be discussed. Approval of the Agenda allows for adjustment of the order in which items are discussed.
Introduction of New City of Benicia Chief of Police: Past Chair, Leah Shelhorn will introduce the Chief of Police, Mr. Erik Upton. A discussion on safety issues and parking concerns in the Downtown Business District will be presented by the Advocacy committee at this time. Board action may be necessary.
Approval of Minutes: The Chair will seek approval of the April 14, 2015 minutes. The minutes should be approved if they adequately and accurately meet the decisions and action made at the previous meeting. If a board member was absent for that meeting, they should abstain from voting unless their vote is necessary to make a quorum, at which point they may vote on the item.
Update on BID Assessments: City staff will update the Board on 2015 Annual BID Assessments. . Board action may be necessary.
Treasurer’s Report: The DBA Treasurer will present the DBA financial report.
Sub Committee Reports:
1 .Election: 2. Promotions: Veterans Day 2015: 3. Tourism; 4. Advocacy: 5. BID Renewal
Comments from each District: Waterfront: Jim Morgan, Eileen Stern, James Long Capitol: Jeanne Steinmann, Leah Shelhorn, Tom Hamilton: Park: Renee Marie Jordan
Agenda items for next meeting
Adjourn ( Attachment: Minutes-April 14th, 2015 DBA meeting)
Downtown Benicia Alliance
Minutes: Tuesday, April 14, 2015- 9:00 a.m.
The Rellik Tavern, 726 First Street, Benicia, CA 94510
Board Members Present: Carl Lucca, Chair; Renee Marie Jordan, Vice-Chair & Treasurer; James Long, Secretary; Eileen Stern; Tom Gavin; Jeanne Steinmann; Leah Shelhorn, and Mario Giuliani, Economic Development Director, City of Benicia.
Excused Absence: James Morgan
1. Call to Order: Carl Lucca, Chair, called the meeting to order at 9:02 a.m.
2. Public Comment: No public comment.
3. Approval of Agenda: Tom Gavin moved to approve the agenda, Eileen Stern seconding.
4. Approval of Minutes: Eileen Stern commented that when public input is heard, the
person’s name and business should be included, she then moved to accept the minutes, with Jeanne Steinmann seconding, Board approved.
5. Update on the BID: Mario Giuliani handed reported that BID assessments billed since the BID’s inception was $91,276.45 in fees, of which $81,563.33 has been collected, with outstanding invoices of approximately $5,815.84. He also reported that on March 24th 2015 the City of Benicia made its first 2015 payment to the DBA in the amount of $15,652.80. Since that March payment, the City has received $7,371.60 in fees which will be paid to the DBA.
Mario also presented a report on the projected 5 year budget for the DBA. He reiterated the purpose of the DBA was to maintain the LIGHTs and should prepare for the upcoming renewal of the DBA charter due in 2016. At this point, Board member Tom Gavin asked about the fees for renewal of the DBA in 2016, and Mario indicated he would provide estimates.
Discussion of the list of unpaid assessments was held. Board member, Leah Shelhorn said the delinquent business names should not be published. The Board was asked to contact those delinquent businesses before further collection action is taken. Board member, Renee Marie Jordan made a motion to form a 4 person committee with Board member, Eileen Sterns seconding and the Board approved. Committee members: Renee Marie Jordan, Tom Gavin, Jeanne Steinmann and Carl Lucca.
6. Treasurer’s Report: The report of Treasurer Renee Marie Jordan was presented to the Board and opened for discussion. She stated that the Balance of the DBA account is $10,345.67. The monthly charges for the tree lights maintenance is $1,400 paid to All that Glows. Dennis Cullen asked Mario if the BID couldn’t pay these fees, would the City take over. Mario said that the City will not maintain the Lights.
7. Safety on First Street: The issue of traffic and parking concerns were brought up for discussion. Speeding, failure to stop for pedestrians at crosswalks, parking in limited parking areas were several of the major concerns of the Board. Mario was asked about these items and he will take them up with the City. Everyone agreed that this is an important issue and that the safety issues have an impact on all businesses and tourism in the Downtown business district.
8. Sub-Committees: Board Chair, Carl Lucca, asked for Board members to fill several committees:
1. Election Committee: Tom Galvin and James Long
2. Veteran’s Day Committee: Tom Hamilton, Eileen Stern and Carl Lucca
3. Tourism Committee: Leah Shelhorn and Jeanne Steinmann
4. Advocacy Committee: Leah Shelhorn and James Morgan
5. BID renewal Committee: Tom Gavin, Renee Marie Jordan and Jeanne Steinmann
9. What’s New in Each District:
Waterfront: Eileen Stern stated that the ReMax is being remodeled.
Capitol: Leah Shelhorn stated that a new Thai Restaurant is open in the former China
Park: Renee Marie stated she is opening an art gallery co-op in part of her office.
10. Agenda Items: None presented.
11. Adjourn: At the conclusion of business Carl Lucca called the meeting adjourned at